Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Apps that Provide Visual Supports

Although my previous post highlighted the different assistive technologies that can be used for students with disabilities that attend college, assistive technology can also be used to support students with disabilities who are not attending college. There are applications that are designed for mobile devices that can be used to provide visual supports, including picture schedules, activity schedules, and social stories. These are great for students with cognitive disabilities, multiple disabilities, or autism, because they often have issues with self-management and personal organization.

Below are some examples of apps that can be used:
  • iPrompt

  • iCommunicate

  • First-Then

  • Visual Schedule Planner


4 comments:

  1. Andrea, I really like the visual schedule apps available on iPads, and other handheld devices. I have used visual schedule cards with students in the past and the visual cues really help them focus on what task to complete next. I'm sure having apps now available at home and school will make their learning even more successful! I blogged about first-then as well and hope others implement this app because it looks like a useful tool for students of all ages.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, thank you for your comment! I really feel like these applications could make a huge difference and impact on these students! I also agree that these apps could be used for students of all different ages!

      Delete
  2. Andrea, I really like that you provided a picture for each individual app that you mentioned! You can visually see how different each of these apps are and be able to find the right app for your student. I've never had the opportunity to use these apps with students but I can imagine that they would be very effective! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, Thank you for your response! Im glad that you appreciate the images that I have provided!

      Delete